- Duration: 40 hours
How to Get a Alabama Life & Health Insurance License
Do You Qualify for an Insurance License?
See the Following Prerequisites:
- Be at least 18 years of age or older
- Have a high school diploma or its equivalent (GED)
- Possess a Social Security number
Complete a Pre-license Course
If you would like to sell insurance in Alabama, you must complete an approved line of pre-licensing education and pass the state licensing exam.
To satisfy the requirements for your course, you will need to pass a Certification Exam. The Certification Exam is not monitored. After passing the Certification Exam with a 70% or greater, you will receive a Certificate of Completion. Pre-licensing education is valid for one year from the date of completion; you will need to take and pass your state exam within this timeframe.
License Hourly Requirement
- Life: 20 Hours
- Health: 20 Hours
- Life & Health: 40 Hours
- Property: 20 Hours
- Casualty: 20 Hours
- Property & Casualty: 40 Hours
- Personal Lines: 20 Hours
Schedule & Pass the License Exam
Licensing exams are provided by the University of Alabama. An exam fee must be paid at the time of reservation by credit card or debit card. All reservations need to be made at least seven days (five business days) before the desired exam date. You can make an exam reservation through the following methods:
- Online: Make an online reservation at http://training.ua.edu/insurance-testing/
- Phone: (205) 348-3000
What to Bring
Bring a current form of identification (a valid Driver’s License, non-driver ID, passport, military ID, or employee ID card). You will be required to present a notarized copy of your pre-license education Certificate of Completion at the exam.
- Report to the test center 15-20 minutes before the exam to complete paperwork
- Examinees are not permitted to bring purses, study materials, books, calculators, or cell phones into the testing area
- Calculators will be provided for use
- Examinees may not leave the room during an exam without permission from the exam proctor.
- If you do not receive your confirmation letter by e-mail, call 205-348-0633 or email your name and confirmation number to email@example.com
- Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
- The passing score required on each exam is 70%.
- Your examination will be graded immediately upon submission
- If you pass, you will be provided an original passing certificate certifying that you passed the examination with instruction on how to complete the application process and receive your license
- Your passing grades will be reported within 3-5 days electronically to the State of Alabama Department of Insurance
- The passing certificate is valid for a period of one year from the exam date indicated, during which time you should file your online license application with the State of Alabama Department of Insurance.
- The passing certificate will not be awarded until the monitor views passing results
- If time allows, you will be given the opportunity to review the questions that you missed
- If you do not pass, you can schedule the exam again, but it must be seven days in advance
|Alabama Exam Information|
|Exam Name||Exam Time||# Correct to Pass||Total Questions|
|Life Producer||2 hours 30 mins||87||125|
|Health Producer||2 hours||70||100|
|Life & Health Producer||3 hours||105||150|
|Property Producer||2 hours||70||100|
|Casualty Producer||2 hours 30 min||87||125|
|Property & Casualty Producer||3 hours||105||150|
|Personal Lines Producer||2 hours||70||100|
|Property & Casualty Adjuster (no Worker’s Comp)||2 hrs 30 min||70||100|
|Property & Casualty Adjuster w/ Worker’s Comp and Crop||3 hrs||105||150|
Effective April 1, 2015, all individual resident applicants seeking to become licensed as Producers, Adjusters, or Title Agents must have completed a Fingerprint background check. You should seek to get fingerprinted after passing the state exam and one day before applying for the license. For more information on fingerprinting requirements, visit https://www.aps.gemalto.com/al/index_doiNew.htm.
Apply for a License
After passing the exam, apply for your license by completing an application at http://www.nipr.com. After 5 days, check http://aldoi.gov, and go to the License Search under Producers/Agents to confirm issuance of your license. Once license is issued, you may print your license from the home page.
Average Life Insurance Agent Salary in Alabama
|Salary Range (Percentile)|
“Did You Find What You Need?” For Additional Resources & Testing:
- Exam Prep Course (Click Here)
Disclaimer: Course requirements and pricing are subject to change. Students are advised to verify all necessary licensing and education requirements with the appropriate state department or licensing agency prior to purchase. All courses offered on this site are processed and administered through third-party companies. Cameron.Academy does not process payments nor issue refunds. Responsibilities of the user-selected third-party company (or companies) include publishing and updating content, payment processing and refunds, administering and/or hosting courses, monitoring, grading, reporting, issuing certification (paper and/or digital), and providing various products. Average salary statistics may vary and are published by ZipRecruiter via their website. Cameron.Academy does not assume responsibility for this third-party data and users should independently research its’ accuracy. All customer and/or technical support will be provided through the user-selected third-party. Therefore, Cameron.Academy does not assume any responsibility nor liability for issues that may arise as a result of purchasing these third-party courses and/or products.