How to Get a Texas Mortgage Loan Originator (MLO) SML License
Texas Mortgage License Requirements
- Complete a Criminal Background Check (CBC)
- Authorize a credit report through the NMLS
- Fulfill all state and federal education requirements as designated by Texas
- Pass a National Test
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Possess a social security number
- Have established credit in the U.S.
Steps to Get a Texas Mortgage License
- Obtain an NMLS Unique Identifier: Register for an account on statemortgageregistry.com and request a unique identifier number.
- Criminal Background Check: Authorize a Federal (FBI) and state criminal background check through NMLS.
- Pre-License Education Requirements: Complete the 23 hours of NMLS-approved education, including federal law, ethics, non-traditional mortgage lending, electives, and Texas (SML) state-specific education.
- Pass the National Test: Take and pass the SAFE Act National Test with Uniform State Test (UST). A score of 75% or better is required to pass.
- Submit the MU4 Application: Complete and submit the MU4 Application on the NMLS website. Pay the required nonrefundable application fee, Mortgage Guaranty Trust Fund fee, and NMLS processing fee.
- Credit Report: Authorize a credit report through the NMLS and complete the Identity Verification Process (IDV).
Enroll in our Texas Mortgage Loan Originator 23-Hour SML and SAFE Act Pre-License Course to meet the Texas mortgage education requirements and start your career as an MLO in Texas. This comprehensive online, self-paced course covers federal law, ethics, non-traditional mortgage lending, electives, and Texas (SML) state-specific education.
- Online, self-paced learning
- Comprehensive coverage of required topics
- Interactive quizzes and practice exams
- Expert instructor support
- Accessible on any device, anytime
Start your mortgage career with Cameron Academy’s MLO License Course – an engaging online course offering education and support for success in the mortgage field. Enroll today and make a meaningful difference as a Mortgage Loan Originator!
Disclaimer: Course requirements, content, and pricing are subject to change without prior notice. Students are strongly advised to verify all necessary licensing and education requirements with the appropriate state department or licensing agency prior to making any purchase. Cameron Academy does not directly administer or process any courses offered on this site, and all such courses are managed and administered through designated third-party companies.
Cameron Academy assumes no responsibility for payment processing nor issuing refunds, as these tasks are solely the responsibility of the user-selected third-party company (or companies). The designated third-party is responsible for, but not limited to, publishing and updating course content, processing payments and refunds, administering and/or hosting courses, monitoring student progress, grading, reporting, issuing certifications (both paper and digital), and providing various products and services related to the courses.
All customer and/or technical support for courses offered on this site will be provided exclusively through the user-selected third-party company. Cameron Academy disclaims any and all responsibility and liability for issues, disputes, or claims that may arise as a result of purchasing or using these third-party courses and/or products. By enrolling in any course offered on this site, the user agrees to release Cameron Academy from any liability related to the courses, products, or services provided by the third-party company.